About Me

In the quiet moments at the end of the day, when so much fills your mind and emotions overload your heart, this is the space where I free those thoughts and let them take over These are the thoughts of love and life, joys and frustrations, things I've learned, and my life's failures. In black and white.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My all time passion...CAKE!

So when we got married, unlike other girls, what was most important to me (other than our guests having a good time and trying to stay within our ridiculously extravagant budget) was the dress cake.  Seriously.  It was all about cake.

For those who know me, they know that I love cake.  I will go to a supermarket and buy a whole birthday cake, carrot cake, red velvet cake, whatever cake and ask them to put happy birthday on the top.  I'll stealthily take it home, and cut one delicious slice, and eat it with a cup of tea.  Yup.  I love cake THAT MUCH

Clearly, the wedding cake would be something that I would pick with extreme thought and careful consideration.  It didn't take long for me to know that I wanted it to be from Dufflet in Toronto.  If you have never been to Dufflet, it is a sweet sweet dreamy place filled with all things yummy (both sweet and sometimes savory).  The wedding cake was definitely coming from there.

One thing that I was staunch about since the beginning was that there was to be NO FONDANT.  Yes, I know, fondant makes a wedding cake "look" so pretty and you can have so many pretty designs and so many fancy-schmancy looking cakes with it, but I'm a girl who is all about eating cake.  I don't eat fondant, no matter what flavour you tell me it is.  If you have a fondant cake that you think would change my mind, please let me know.  I will gladly try to let you convince me otherwise about fondant. 

Cake should be a sinful pleasure that you partake of whenever possible (twice a month?? plus a gym membership?).  I wanted my wedding cake to be delicious, so Dufflet and no fondant.  Dufflet has a great selection of cakes covered on the outside with buttercream frosting (or fondant too for those who want it).  Not only do they look amazing, but they taste AMAZING!  We chose a very simple cake with a simple design on the outside of the buttercream frosting.  Three tiers, the first was golden (yellow pound cake with fresh strawberries inside), the second tier was mocha, and the third tier was carrot.  I simply adore carrot cake and Dufflet makes an amazing carrot cake.  Another plus?  It freezes really well, so we should still be able to enjoy it by our first year anniversary.

And to top it all off....tah dah!  Mr and Mrs Potatohead.  What?  They're legally married, I mean, they are Mr and Mrs, aren't they?  They can be on our cake without any repercussion of having only a common law couple or having God strike us down for putting heathens on our cake, or strangers on our cake for that matter.  Besides, they were toys from his childhood and everybody loves potatoes, don't they? 

Anyway, our cake was absolutely DELICIOUS.  Not a piece of fondant in sight, but lots of delicious golden cake with strawberries.  We chose a smaller cake as our dinner came with chocolate mousse for dessert, or a trio of fruit sorbets for the lactose intolerant bride. 

So, whatever people say about how fabulous your wedding cake should be, ask yourself the question, what is more important to you, looks or taste?  I am not saying you have to sacrifice one for the other, as underneath that beautiful fondant you can have an amazing tasting cake, but decorating with fondant increases the price of your wedding cake rather steeply.  Since I hate fondant, the choice for us was easy.  And since my new hubby didn't care what the cake was covered with, as long as he got to eat some, it was a win-win solution for us.

No comments: