About Me

In the quiet moments at the end of the day, when so much fills your mind and emotions overload your heart, this is the space where I free those thoughts and let them take over These are the thoughts of love and life, joys and frustrations, things I've learned, and my life's failures. In black and white.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

the soundtrack of my life

My mind floods with memories whenever a certain song plays through the air.  I can just hear the notes and it transforms me and takes me to another time and place. Small tedious moments, grandious happy moments, and of course the heart breaking moments.

Everclear:  screaming at the top of my lungs while driving across the Mojave desert at 3am while driving from Phoenix to LA.  One of the most LIBERATING moments of my life.

Gin Blossoms:  driving across NC and across the Alligator Bridge.  slept through most of the ride, but still remember the pecan pinwheels we ate on the beach at Ocracoke.

Matchbox 20:  driving back and forth from Watertown to Sacketts Harbor for years.  Memories of Fred Robster, Appleby's and love.

The Smiths:  a bus trip to Quebec City with my fellow classmates in the 8th grade.  what a hoot!  to be young again.

Spirit of the West:  ALL OVER EUROPE!

Norah Jones:  a concert in Toronto before she was known and a Grammy winner.  $10 and up close and personal.  A lover's quarrel in the midst of the concert ruined a bit of the flavour, however, I still love Norah... but ditched the lover.

Pachabel:  a dark room, lovers entwined, declaring their love.  First and enduring love.

Dixie Chicks:  driving like lunatics in the Jeep all over Montreal.  Snow, cold, frost, slipping and sliding.  An utterly fantastic night.

Sublime:  Wow.  Porch number 8, happy hour every night at 5:30pm after the day's work was done.  Discussing science, dissecting research, laughing, camaraderie, unmeasurable friendships and kinships brought together by a small place in the mountains of AZ.

Maxwell:  an old friend.  a lovely apartment in Montreal.  Listening to music.  Looking at him for the first time and realizing that friendship isn't the only thing on my mind...

Hodo:  acoustic guitar, a deep soothing voice, songs that touch the heart.  a moment where two people realize they share the same passion for music and subsequently become forever joined. Welcome to Tucson.

Diana Krall:  driving around on base the day a lover is leaving for war.  how do you say all of the things that are flooding your mind? how do you say good by to somebody who may not come back?  how do you pour your heart out? you don't.  you eat grilled cheese sandwiches on post, drive around holding hands, kiss passionately and let go. Good old US of A.

Bright eyes:  realizing that this will be the first song you dance to when  you are somebody's wife... can't wait to see how that dance goes...

Tracy Chapman:  so many tied up to this artist.  Georgia.  A promise to return, if you promise to wait.  3am in Montreal, waiting, hoping, feeling. 

Smashmouth:  Georgia... *laugh*

Ben Harper:  driving around the mountains of northern Colorado, across the state to the lower part, and home of the Great Gorge.  how I wished you were with me.  oh how I wished

Chantal Kreviazuk:  candles lit after a 2am phone call declaring you are coming to visit.  6am you arrive in my arms and all is right in the world again.

Culture Club:  Oh Sabina!  Driving across AZ and NM....with one tape.  Truck stops, unusual bony fish skeleton heads in Texas...flat tires near the Road Kill Cafe, NM.  could it have been more of a blast??

Lush:  dancing around my Montreal appartment knowing that I finally extricated myself from the most complicated situation ever and loving it....even if it was short lived

The Strokes:  Brampton, Grimsby, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Indianna.  Quite the trip to reach Graceland with one of my dearest hearts.  We should do it more often. 

Sugarland:  Mississauga. knowing that I was in trouble.  knowing I had found a love that comes only once in a lifetime, but I wasn't the only girl who had found that once in a lifetime love.  I had to do what was right for myself.  regrets?  no.  just experiences that have left a mark on my heart, but I think it builds character, don't you?

George Strait:  North Carolina. anything with George ties me to you.  So run baby, just run....

I could go on.  So many moments, so many people.  It is the soundtrack of my life.  Music.  May I never be without it.

2 comments:

Life With Dogs said...

Wow - we have very similar taste in music - I'm a fan of about 80% of these. :)

kitty said...

ah, music and dogs. Nothing goes better together!