About Me

In the quiet moments at the end of the day, when so much fills your mind and emotions overload your heart, this is the space where I free those thoughts and let them take over These are the thoughts of love and life, joys and frustrations, things I've learned, and my life's failures. In black and white.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Movie Classics

It's still a story without an ending;  what about now?

 Sometimes when it's late at night and I can't sleep (which happens often), I love finding an excellent, classic movie on TV.

The other night, I was up and it was pretty early. One of my very very most favourite movies was on ... Casablanca.  Ilsa, Rick, Victor, Sam and of course Captain Renault.  All of my favourite friends were there. Good and bad, war and peace, desire for freedom and captivity, and the indifferent (seemingly) handsome man who wants to stay uninvolved and detached but is anything but.  It makes for the classic love story and one that has stuck with me since I saw it when I was 13.

I am a sucker for a love story.  If you've never seen it, it's one that will stay with you.  (I would stop reading here because I warn you ... spoiler alert). Man meets woman, woman falls in love with man, man falls in love with woman.  Man loses woman but doesn't know why, man drinks himself into a stupor. Man moves on by opening a bar, only to have woman walk in one day with her husband.  DAMN!  Why does that always happen??  Indifferent man falls back in love woman and the two of them plan to spend the rest of their lives together while helping woman's husband escape with his life (to his agreement no less in return for his wife's happiness).  Police arrest woman's husband but indifferent man helps get him free.  At the very last moment, indifferent man has woman and her husband freed from Casablanca pretending not to care.  Ah.... l'amour.

He loves her.  I mean LOVES her.  And she loves her husband but she loves indifferent man too.  Torn between two loves, torn between two lives.  I think we can all identify with that.  And of course, a toast to ironic friendships.  I swear, it doesn't get any better than this.

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: