About Me

In the quiet moments at the end of the day, when so much fills your mind and emotions overload your heart, this is the space where I free those thoughts and let them take over These are the thoughts of love and life, joys and frustrations, things I've learned, and my life's failures. In black and white.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dearest J

Darling,

tonight is my last night in Barcelona.  I've had such a wonderful time here.  My little pension was comfortable enough and the best part of course were the showers.  Yes dearest, you are right, you would have hated it. *laugh*

Today as I wanted along Les Rambles, I thought of you often and wished that you were here with me.  That's all I've been wishing this whole trip.  I saw many of Gaudi's building and of course his unfinished masterpiece, Sagrada Familia.  Will it ever be completed in our lifetime?  I hope so.  It really is an incredible sight.  I spent most of the day wandering around.  It's so lovely.  I think maybe I could live here if I spoke Spanish.

The whole city shuts down for siesta in the heat of midday and life just stops.  Families dine together and spend time just being and enjoying.  Why has that concept never been adopted in North America?  I think we should adopt it in our home!  What do you say?  Napping midday??  I know you would go for it with little or no convincing from me.

There is a nice breeze blowing in from the water and walking on the shady side of the street was nice.  I bought some pastries and a small bag of cherries for lunch and enjoyed them while strolling down the streets.  I've been living on meals of bread and water for weeks now and the cherries were an indulgent treat.  I am starting to miss the small things that I took for granted back home, cold water, being able to walk over to the refrigerator to get food that is ever present, a comfortable bed and pillows, and of course water pressure in the shower.

I haven't been doing much in the evenings except writing in my journal, writing my notes and of course organizing my photos.  I think I have some great shots that would be of use in a possible show.  Keep your fingers crossed for me that all of the photos will develop properly and the way that I envisioned them when I snapped them!  I wish I could just sit out at a cafe one night and people watch, but sometimes I am so tired after the day that I had, I just can't muster up the strength to sit any longer.  The heat of Spain is tiring me out more than I am used to.  Perhaps when I swing back in this direction on the way home, I will make myself stay out one evening!  For the most part, I use the nights to get my gear together, get some sleep and prepare for an early morning departure.

Tomorrow I head for Avignon at 5am.  I am sure I can get some great shots so early in the morning.

Dear heart, why am I so far from you?  I wish that you could be physically here with me.  But know that everywhere I go, every scene I capture, every magical place I put my foot down, you are here with me.  I carry you always in my heart and I hear your comments in my head and laugh.  I know you so well, I know what you would say and how you would react.  We are part of each other.  But just the same, next time, you will be in Spain with me.

always with all my heart,
k

No comments: